FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

November 24, 2012 Club Ride - Windrock Park

<<

georgiagirl

Senior Windrocker

Post Tue Nov 27, 2012 1:44 pm

Re: November 24, 2012 Club Ride - Windrock Park

[quote="Badride"][quote="georgiagirl"][quote="Badride"]. Oh, and I would suggest an XP, not an S. The XP has a MUCH better motor and drive train, much smoother ride and are more stable.[/quote]

That's food for thought.... We've been looking at the S.... So now we have something else to consider..... But the XP is more expensive :([/quote]
Yes, but you get a LOT better machine. Ritchie's in Athens had a pretty good price on them recently.[/quote]

Ritchie's is where we've been checking. Someone over the weekend had mentioned what good deals they have.
<<

watsonjt

Windrocker

Post Tue Nov 27, 2012 3:45 pm

The only down fall is the XP is much wider than the standard S model. Around here i sometimes had to squeze my V force through trees and ive seen on rides where the SXS do have problems in the tight trees. Extra width seems like a downfall more than an upside lol just a thought.
<<

georgiagirl

Senior Windrocker

Post Tue Nov 27, 2012 4:32 pm

Good point! The width factor does concern me. I feel like its a squeeze in some places even for my Rhino.
<<

poncho

WATVC Club Member
WATVC Club Member

Post Tue Nov 27, 2012 7:46 pm

Well thats good info, thank you, what about the Can Am Maverick? The Arctic Cat Prowler?
<<

Badride

Senior Windrocker

Post Wed Nov 28, 2012 7:09 am

[quote="watsonjt"]The only down fall is the XP is much wider than the standard S model. Around here i sometimes had to squeze my V force through trees and ive seen on rides where the SXS do have problems in the tight trees. Extra width seems like a downfall more than an upside lol just a thought.[/quote]

The XP is only 4 inches wider than an S model. I have been on every ATV trail on Windrock, Brimstone and most of the WMA and have never seen a marked trail that an XP couldn't go that a 4 wheeler or an S model would. I will admit, when the XP first came out I didn't think they would work around here but I was wrong. There are so many of them now on the mountain they have widened out the trails. There are a few places on the WMA that are a little tight for an XP but they are very few. You might be a little slower in those rare places but they are so rare compared to the rest of the trails the width doesn't hurt in the overall picture. Just remember, longer A-arms (XP vs S) lets you have more travel and therefore a plusher ride.
<<

georgiagirl

Senior Windrocker

Post Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:23 am

Thanks again for the info.
<<

scottymac

Senior Windrocker

Post Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:18 am

here's my $.02

I had a RZR S for one year, the day i got my XP i asked myself why didn't i do this in the first place? everything that i wished my S would do the XP does.

Ritchie's has an awesome deal on the liquid silver xp and the service department was outstanding!
<<

Wyld

Windrock Warrior

Post Wed Nov 28, 2012 7:19 pm

[quote="poncho"]Well thats good info, thank you, what about the Can Am Maverick? The Arctic Cat Prowler?[/quote]

I would wait on the maverick. I'm a can-am rider and been interested in the new maverick, but won't ever buy a new first year machine again (made that mistake when i bought my outlander 400.) The width factor of the Maverick and the lack of cargospace is it's main downfall i foresee. The maverick and the AC Prowler are entirely 2 different machines. Wide, yes; big, Yes; Expensive, yes.

I'm gonna wait till can-am gets most of the bugs out of the mav before i decide on one of those. even then, i might switch to a polaris if can-am has too many problems. You might have better luck finding a used in good condition RZR that has already been added the trail goodies for less than a new unproven machine. I've seen the vids of them on the dunes, I'd like to see one being torture tested at windrock or Bryants cove for that matter.
<<

Badride

Senior Windrocker

Post Thu Nov 29, 2012 8:29 am

[quote="scottymac"]here's my $.02

I had a RZR S for one year, the day i got my XP i asked myself why didn't i do this in the first place? everything that i wished my S would do the XP does.

Ritchie's has an awesome deal on the liquid silver xp and the service department was outstanding![/quote]

He is EXACTLY right! There just isn't ANY comparison between the two. The better quality motor in the XP alone is worth the price. I have seen WAY too many Ss have motor problems not to mention they have a MUCH weaker front differential. I had less than 600 miles on my S when the crank twisted. I have had two friends have to get rid of their Ss because they started using a LOT of oil. None of our group have had motor problems with the XPs.
<<

scottymac

Senior Windrocker

Post Thu Nov 29, 2012 9:34 am

I was going to hold out for the Mav , it is one cool looking ride and is pretty impressive on paper. all that HP (10 more than the XP...at the crank) 2.5 shocks on all 4 corners blah, blah , blah.

the reality of it is, Polairs machines are evrywhere any givin weekend. CanAm Maverick, not so much. if i have a mechanical problem chances of me finding assistance is going to be easy.
<<

poncho

WATVC Club Member
WATVC Club Member

Post Thu Nov 29, 2012 9:09 pm

I was wrong about the Arctic Cat Prowler, I ment to say Wild Cat. We looked at the Commander at Alcoa Good times, It is Charcoal Grey ,nice comfey seats,winch,lots of storage,nice fancy rims, Yea, your right about waiting on the Maverick till they get the bugs out.We like the RZR , but they are a little crowded,unless you get the 4 seater, and thats to big.So I don't know, they are so many to choose from.Thanks guys for all your input.
<<

Badride

Senior Windrocker

Post Fri Nov 30, 2012 8:18 am

There is also a drawback on that extra room in the cab. That room has to go somewhere so the body sticks out wider than the wheels on the Commander and Mavrick. That means if you get in a tight place you are more likely to bust the plastic (just ask the only Commander guy in our group) and, if you get in a ditch to where one side is rubbing the bank, the RZR doesn't rub anything but the tires and maybe the flares where the Commander and Mavrick will be rubbing the body. That isn't a pretty sight or sound. It is almost like the guy made out of money on the GEICO ad on tv. You can almost see the dollar bills flying off. Yes, you can put wheel spacers on and it will end up being as wide as an XP but, when you do that it makes it REALLY hard on bearings and tie rods.
<<

chatdc

Windrock Warrior

Post Fri Nov 30, 2012 8:41 am

Blah Blah Blah

Roger, Your XP hasn't been off the "Dump Truck Trails" in the last 5 rides now!!!

No Roger, riding around the mtn, side saddle in a sxs, with your long greasy hair flapping in the breeze like a loose panel on a dirt track car DOESN'T look manly... Get a haircut and a 4 wheeler!!!!

Take that thing back to the golf course before it gets missed !

OK OK !!!!! I woke up in a good mood today!

There's a decent chance that I get to ride tommorow and I'm PSYCHED !!!!!
<<

Wyld

Windrock Warrior

Post Fri Nov 30, 2012 11:04 pm

[quote="poncho"]I was wrong about the Arctic Cat Prowler, I ment to say Wild Cat. We looked at the Commander at Alcoa Good times, It is Charcoal Grey ,nice comfey seats,winch,lots of storage,nice fancy rims, Yea, your right about waiting on the Maverick till they get the bugs out.We like the RZR , but they are a little crowded,unless you get the 4 seater, and thats to big.So I don't know, they are so many to choose from.Thanks guys for all your input.[/quote]

I thought you made a mistake. Wasn't sure about it though. I'd wait till the mav and the Wildcat are a bit more proven before gettinginto one of those. Just my opinion though. The commander is a nice vehicle but i have a friend who as one and she swears every time she takes it out there ends up being something wrong with it and it's a commander X. It could be the driver or it could be beings it is such a new vehicle, or maybe she got a lemon. Partof me wants a sxs for all the room ( and being a part of the ever growing group). Plus i think one would help my back when i get older. But for now my outlander max suits me fine. Rode trail 12 last saturday and went more places without rubbing than a rzr or any sxs will. So good and bad with both.

I've heard so many people who have both an atv and a sxs and they tell me they hardly ride their atvs anymore. I don't think i could do that. Sometimes an atv is more fun than a sxs. Sometimes the opposite.
<<

poncho

WATVC Club Member
WATVC Club Member

Post Fri Nov 30, 2012 11:53 pm

Yea, your right. I think we will keep the ATV's and get a SxS to , that way we will have a choice.Thanks for the info.
Previous

Return to WATVC Sanctioned Trail Rides