FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

iron gap in winchester tn

<<

GIP

WATVC Club Member
WATVC Club Member

Post Sun May 18, 2014 10:57 pm

Re: iron gap in winchester tn

Slow and easy in yupper that is a long rocky road going in and out from top of mountain, otherwise u can go in from the alabama side
Swampazz Riders
Windrock and Royal Blue Rangers ATV Club-Member
<<

ridge_rider

Post Thu May 22, 2014 5:10 am

I have been looking at google maps. Campbell Rd. may be another way. I don't know if there are any gates on it or the condition of the road.
Actually if you make the proper turns, you can follow it all the way to Alabama. It might also take you to an area where you aren't supposed to be such as a WMA.

From the South one way in, seems to be Jackson County Rd. 140 to Honey Hollow. If you take the left fork and can get to TN then
you will be on land from that same CO Company, to the right after crossing some other persons properties, you will again get there.
I don't know where to park though, and if you can access it.
<<

GIP

WATVC Club Member
WATVC Club Member

Post Thu May 22, 2014 2:39 pm

iron Gap road is just that an Unimproved county road starts out on top of keith springs mountain, ends up back on blacktop in Alabama. There are also routes down in the bottom that go out to huntland, TN area, that's another access point, there's also a back way in through private property and maybe even some other ways I don''t know about.
Swampazz Riders
<<

ridge_rider

Post Sun May 25, 2014 7:35 pm

Here is the TN web site to determine land ownership. One of the big landowners is RLF Winchester Properties LLC.

http://tnmap.tn.gov/assessment/?GISLink=026116++++01900
<<

ridge_rider

Post Sun Jun 01, 2014 5:31 pm

I talked to someone who lived in the area about access from AL.
I scouted the location without my ATV.
https://maps.google.com/?ll=34.983812,- ... 1&t=h&z=18
You take Jackson county Rd. 175 until the road enters a stream. That is where you park. There is not much room.
I do not think that I could turn my trailer around. The road enters the stream there for a while and takes a sharp left.
I followed it for a while. It enters the stream again. On the right on the other side of the stream, I saw gates, fields and no trespassing signs.
Then it started to get narrow and too rough for my street vehicle and I turned around. I hope to go back with an ATV.

I also drove down Jackson County Rd 140 which is left off of 175. I followed it past a cemetery to the state line and a gate.
It said no trespassing and that gate could be closed at anytime. When I was there the gate was open.
You might be able to reach that spot from the Hwy 175 entrance that I wrote about above.
<<

jerrzr1

Senior Windrocker

Post Fri Aug 01, 2014 12:24 pm

RedNeckRanger wrote:the southern sxs riders r riding there this sat if anybody is interested.all r welcome!!! :D its about 1 hour from chattanooga across mont eagle mtn

http://www.southernsxsriders.com

Hate that I missed that one. :(
<<

ridge_rider

Post Sun Oct 05, 2014 2:53 am

I went to Hwy 175 to see where we could park and if there are any places to turn around. We saw several trailers parked just before the road goes in the water and turns to the NW. With some difficulty I was able to turn mine around. It seems that I should have cut more to the right before attempting the turn. We rode the trail NW and crossed over in to TN. We saw many no trespassing signs in the properties bordering the road. We soon came to a WMA sign. It said that riding is only allowed along the river and not to ride anywhere else. Soon there was a road to the left going up which supposedly leads to a large cave. There was a sign saying no motorized travel. We kept going and came to what is called the mud bog area. That is near the boundary of the WMA. You can bypass the mud bogs or ride in them. We continued North. We heard later that this can lead to the Iron Gap side and its trails. The trail spent a lot of time in the streambed and was very rocky in places. We found 2 trails going up and to the east. There was one to the west going up which we did not take. We came across some advanced sections on both and turned around not wanting to risk being overturned. It would have been easy for an UTV. Returning to the mud bogs there is a road going to the west. It climbed and eventually we reached an area called flat top. There we met some UTV riders. One told us how to get to AL coming out west of Hwy 117.on Hwy 140. He said that the roads that we were on were public roads and right-of-ways. Some landowners have gated what he considers public roads. We eventually found our way back that way, but only through the graces of a landowner who opened one of the gates for us. We came across an open gate at the state line with a sign saying that the gate could be closed at any time. My trip odometer said 26 miles my companion's 22 miles. I need to find out whose is accurate. We only saw a portion of the area. It varies from advanced trails to 4 wheel drive roads and rocky streambed trails. A lot of the latter I suspect after a large rainstorm would be come impassable. You would become trapped with water too deep and raging torrents.
<<

GIP

WATVC Club Member
WATVC Club Member

Post Mon Oct 06, 2014 2:58 pm

You can always go in from the Alabama side
Swampazz Riders
<<

Wyld

Windrock Warrior

Post Sat Dec 13, 2014 10:18 pm

I haven't rode Iron Gap since February 2014. But it really isn't all that bad as some might think. It is traversabe by atv ( it is more the experience of the rider than the type of machine). Since i've seen many a local on smaller atvs still be able to ride the supposedly rough trails and not have a problem.

But I would advise if you do ride this area to never ride alone( unles you are very familiar with the area and a very experienced rider). I've seen a few accidents involving people who were not paying attention to the trails and the conditions, and or they were not as prepared as most riders.

That being said, anytime anyone wants to ride this area, please let me know. I'd be glad to go with. As I don't like riding alone. Until my friend Josh gets his Polaris up and running, I'm taking a chance on riding solo. Don't want to but hard to get people I know to go riding.
2008 Can-Am Outlander 650 max xt "Yellow"
A few mods.

2014 Ford F-150 supercab FX4
<<

ridge_rider

Post Wed Dec 31, 2014 9:27 am

When we rode and had problems it was raining. That makes a big difference I am told. Someone told me to never ride in the rain.
Some of the trail goes through dry streambeds. Those rocks have been worn by water. And when they get wet they are slippery.
The whole trail is not difficult. There are just a few spots that are marginal. Rain makes a difference.
<<

GIP

WATVC Club Member
WATVC Club Member

Post Wed Dec 31, 2014 9:39 am

rain equals no dust a plus in my book, unless it be a gully washer
Swampazz Riders
<<

Wyld

Windrock Warrior

Post Sun Apr 17, 2016 6:19 pm

Trail Update:

Logging has been going on in the area of the main rocky downhill trail/road. You probably could make it down in a stock 4wd truck no problem. They have graveled the trail down to the rocks, but some of the trail has gotten rutted out and some mud holes are present. I last rode Iron gap the Easter weekend of 2016 and had no problems on the trails.

Have rode during rainstorms and it does get slippery but no dust.
2008 Can-Am Outlander 650 max xt "Yellow"
A few mods.

2014 Ford F-150 supercab FX4
Previous

Return to Tennessee