FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Overheating... did not see that coming

<<

Caveman

Post Fri Jul 29, 2016 10:55 pm

Overheating... did not see that coming

Greetings!

So I overheated on the trail, and what I learned from it...
Several weeks back I was riding at windrock, I ride a lot of "SOLO" rides, yes I am aware of the dangers and do NOT think I am exempt from them, I am overly cautious, and pack for most scenarios, duel radios, rigging and recovery gear, extra fuel, air compressor, tire plugs, etc. yadda yadda,
anywho, while on a 2016 kawasaki bruteforce 750 I was rounding up on a SAT evening of a 60+ mile tour, when the dreaded engine light glowed its cheerful hue of crimson, over heat.... drats! I pull off the trail and let the machine idle, freaking out a little as the sky is starting to turn the same shade of red and the light starting to slip away. as the fan hums away and several minutes pass the light goes out and I am anxious to continue as I am a good bit away from being off the mountain... I continue on and the machine urges me to stop for a temp break several times, I find that driving through as much water seems to help prolong the time between cool downs, at least in my mind. after some tense time I manage to make the top of P1 and drop her into neutral and coast down to the parking area, by this time the General Store has long closed its doors and its inhabitants have gone home for the day. However the story does not end here, I am camped at the campground, and must make the climb back up the connector trail and make my way to my camp site. Half way along the connector trail the machine lights up again, and this time she starts blowing water like Moby Dick. I pull off again and this time start giving her the last of the water... as I inspect for a possible cause of the overheating I discover I am unable to shine light through the radiator, huh....did not expect that. Several folks stopped as they passed me on the connector and offered advice, I cringe on the idea of relocating the radiator, I just don't want to look over it all day as I ride, some other helpful advice was to buy a side by side...... people are so helpful... anyhow, the immediate solution was to limp it to the pressure washer in the campground and blow her out, but alas guess whom had not a carwash token one??? This GUY! as I waited a bit longer a couple stopped and I explained my story again and behold they gave me one of their last two carwash tokens!!! Faith in Humanity restored! And they would not take any payment in return! I limped on the wash station and carefully sprayed the radiator out and behold her temp dropped and stayed down, the next morning I added some coolant, Which I also care 20oz on the trail if you ever need any.... I over pack.... I rode all day Sunday without a hitch. So , what did we learn from this massive run on paragraph??? at the start of every ride check your radiator, and now I also carry 2, two foot high pressure "fun noodle" squirt guns, and I can draw water from stream, pond, puddle, drink bottle, or everyone gather round and pee in it... and it delivers enough pressure to clean out a completely clogged Radiator, and they are the lightest thing in my kit except my marshmallows, if you ever see me on the trail, ask me about my marshmallows!
see ya on the mountain!
<<

aweisgarber

Senior Windrocker

Post Sat Jul 30, 2016 8:48 pm

Re: Overheating... did not see that coming

The scariest part of that story was putting it in neutral and coasting off the mountain.I'm pretty sure that's how both the crosses on P-1 got there.Most brake pads are not good enough to hold back all the way down P-1 without some engine breaking help.They can overheat and completely fail.
<<

Caveman

Post Sun Jul 31, 2016 7:04 am

You Are Correct! coasting was the most gut wrenching part, folks don't really realize the grade of that road, even with the engine braking there are a couple of turns that sneak up on you and force you out WIDE.... I wore my boots out dragging them that evening!!!
<<

GIP

WATVC Club Member
WATVC Club Member

Post Tue Aug 02, 2016 11:33 pm

some people use a bilge pump, and some hose, drop bilge pump in water hole plug it in and get to spraying on the trail
Swampazz Riders
Windrock and Royal Blue Rangers ATV Club-Member
<<

Caveman

Post Fri Nov 11, 2016 7:58 am

I have since also tried cleaning the rad and when dry, coating it with a thin film of PTFE dry lube, seems to work, sheds water and mud/grime, although its been dry..dry dry.....
maybe its a placebo but I feel like it has improved the problem of a fouled rad.
Woot!
makes me wonder what it would cost to get a Teflon coated rad...... quick call the patent office!
<<

kscfire

WATVC Club Member
WATVC Club Member

Post Fri Nov 11, 2016 9:45 am

Do some research, I recently found a radiator made for my RZR that the cooling fins are spaced wider to help reduce the mud build up and helps with washing it out, too. If I find who it was, I'll post it for you. Good luck with your solution. Also take a look at this, it isn't cheap, but it is an option. http://www.twoguyshobby.com/trailwasher/trail-washer .
2013 RZR XP 900 EPS Walker Evans Black/White LE
Stage 2 Kit, Special Carriers Mfg. Arched Forward A-Arms, HL Arched Trailing Arms, Pro Armor Doors, Tony's Toys Rock Sliders, Polaris tip-out windshield, RyFab Custom Rear Bumper & Cargo Rack, RyFab Cargo Box w/Roto Pax tanks, RyFab Rear Sliding Windshield, UHMW Skids, Red Clay Outdoors Roof, Polaris 4500 # Winch & Polaris Front Bumper, 32" x 10" x 14" Roctanes on STI HD5 5-4 offset beadlock wheels and still adding...

Return to Trail Stories